Guirys

ID: 406
Category: Business directory > Home and Garden > Blinds

Phone: (303) 444-3800

Boulder,
Boulder, Colorado
80302 United States
Guiry’s, today a retailer of quality house paints, art supplies, and interior design resources, began as a humble “paper cleaning” company in downtown Denver in 1899. Four generations of the Guiry family have operated and evolved the company into the great family-owned Denver business it is today.

A year after the company’s origination, founder Joseph P. Guiry, along with his brother Herb, started their retail paint and decorating business, "Guiry Brothers", in the Ernst and Cranmer building, located at 17th & Curtis Streets. The business, under the direction of the brothers, who had immigrated to Denver from Ireland, prospered, moving in 1910 to a retail facility at 1435 Court Place. An ad in that year's Denver Business Directory listed Guiry Bros. as "the source for foreign and domestic wall papers, tekko, grass-cloth, leather, lincrusta, burlaps, paints, oils and glass, painting and paperhanging and interior decoration, with churches and public buildings a specialty!"

After World War II, keeping the business in the family, Joseph's sons, Leonard and Joseph, Jr., took over the company. Leonard became responsible for the retail stores, while Joe, Jr. headed up the paint contracting side of the business. Another brother, Frank, became a general contractor, building homes in Denver's post-war boom. In the early 1950s, as Denver began spreading out, Frank opened two new retail locations, with one store in the JCRS Shopping Center in Lakewood, and another in Aurora.

In 1962, the company opened a new store in the University Hills Shopping Center. Starting out in a 1500 square foot space, that store has grown to a 20,000 square foot retail outlet, now located at 2468 South Colorado Boulevard.

1962 was also the year when Leonard passed away from a heart attack, and his son, Richard "Dick" Guiry took over as president of the company.

Since celebrating 100 years in business in 1999, Dick Guiry, along with sons Sean and Patrick, opened a store in Parker and also acquired and renovated a 25,000 square foot building just north of Coors Field in lower downtown on the corner of Market Street and 23rd. The LoDo location now serves as a state-of-the-art retail/wholesale outlet and distribution center. The opening of the store not only coincided with the 100th anniversary of Guiry’s, Inc., but also marked a return to the company's roots - in downtown Denver, where it all began!
Log in to post reviews!